April 12, 2008

ginjinha

How glorious, how wonderful, how marvelous, how spectacular two days of sun feels after four days of rain. Yes, it's true, yesterday and today the sky is unclouded and the sun is shining! In effort to take advantage of this rather rare occasion yesterday, I went to the Belém neighbourhood of Lisbon. Here I saw a couple of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, old men playing cards in the park, and another old man chasing a pigeon with is cane. I also partook in the consumption of Pasteis de Belém (the legitimately world-famous custard tarts originating here).

The Torre de Belém and the Mosterio dos Jerónimos
(notice the blue skies?!)

After another day touring the city, I met up with Laura and Bruno and we headed out to Clube de Fado for some traditional Portuguese food and folk music. Interestingly, almost everyone working in the restaurant (n=4) became a Fado prima donna. Of particular note was the cook, who temporarily left the kitchen, but not her hairnet, behind to sing to us.

The cook's daughter singing some Fado.
Parking in Alfama, Lisbon was most interesting as it used an electronic valet. In other words, you drive your car onto a large metal plate, lock it, and follow the instructions on the sign to the left (pay particular attention to instruction #1). After all steps are completed, your car is whisked away into an extra-large filing cabinet.

The evening before the sun came, Laura, Bruno, and I went to a Sporting Club football game. While they played poorly, losing to an English Club 2-0, it was quite entertaining. People are really into their football (think Maple Leaf fans, but multiply them in number). That afternoon,
Bruno's father took me to see the small town of Óbidos. Primarily existing within castle walls, which were admittedly a bit scary to walk on, the town was cute and quaint. My favourite part, aside from making it down from the walls alive, was drinking homemade ginjinha. This liqueur made from fermenting the local ginja berry in brandy was sweet, smooth, and served in a chocolate cup. Just imagine my delight!

Óbidos.

At the Sporting Club football game.

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

Jaaaanelllle! That's not fair. Custard tarts are my favourite portugese pastry ever! I fondly remember my Mom getting them for me on a special occasion at the local portugese bakery when we lived in Montreal.

Sima said...

Yay Janelle! Your culinary adventures are delightful to follow, even if they do leave me with a bit of a grumble in my tummy. You wouldn't believe how Jonathan went on and on about custard tarts after reading your post. He must really like them. Any room in your bag for a couple on your way back, or do you think Canadian customs will treat them as a present for themselves?

Katherine said...

Hi Janelle. I like hearing about soccer games and sunshine. Today in class we were talking about electricity and where we would be without it. We wouldn't be in classrooms with no windows, I said. The sun is good. Especially whilst eating custard tarts. I've never had one but I've had delicious custardy desserts before and they've never disappointed.

Anonymous said...

I certainly understand Jonathan's healthy appreciation of custard tarts and Katherine's healthy appreciation of solar light. Vitamin D is just the beginning! In terms of the tarts, I'd bring some back for you all, but they unfortunately do not travel well - kind of like apple fritters, they're best fresh!